One of the best ways to stay in touch with yourself is to find and use a series of questions for each of five different area of your life ….
If we find or design these questions and then ask ourselves these questions on a regular basis we will be better able to stay in touch with who we are called by the Lord to be and what the Holy Spirit is guiding us to do.
I believe it was the ancient philosopher Plato who said, “An unexamined life is not worth living!”
I spend time every month or so taking a look at who I am and where I am at in my journey with Jesus and my journey through life. I usually record my findings in my journal and even, at times, write a blog or two in relation to my findings. I find this discipline to be helpful and healthy. I call it taking a personal inventory.
I will be sharing, over the next couple of days, the lists I use to examine several key areas of my life. It might be helpful if you took some time to go through the questions and honestly answer them for yourself. Or, even better, if you take this idea, run with it, and develop your own list of questions that you will then use to examine your journey.
TEN QUESTIONS: Relationship with Christ.
- What did I learn in God’s Word this week?
- Is my burden for prayer growing or diminishing?
- Does my heart break for the things that break the heart of God?
- Have I grown accustomed to or accepted sin in my life?
- Am I doing ministry out of an overflow of God’s work in my heart or out of my own strength?
- Has my teaching and ministry deepened, changed, or evolved in a positive way in the last year?
- Do I have a sincere peace that I’m living an authentic life of spiritual integrity?
- Is my heart growing larger for people and God or is it shrinking?
- Am I closer to God today than I was a year ago?
- Do others comment that they can clearly see evidence of God’s work in my life?
TEN QUESTIONS: MINISTRY
- Is my vision of who God is asking me to become and what He is asking me to do for Him so big that I obviously can’t accomplish it without God?
- Am I doing my ministry from memory or from fresh direction from God?
- What ministry – or program or meeting or activity – that I am involved in has lost its effectiveness and should be stopped?
- Is there something that I am involved in that I am no longer excited about and is there something I can do to reengage or should I no longer be active in it?
- What faith risk is God calling me to take?
- Have I examined my heart and life and repented at least once in the last year for any failures in my life?
- Have I done everything in my power to make sure that I am living without unconfessed sin?
- Am I expressing love and care for those around me?
- Am I living with delayed obedience toward God in any area of my life and ministry?
- If Jesus my sole motivation for ministry or has my motivation become clouded?
Further lists tomorrow….